California Conservatorship Attorney Helps You Protect Your Family

Serving the Bay Area for more than 25 years
The Law Office of Peter S. Stern can help you arrange for the care of an elderly parent or disabled adult child. We can guide you in choosing a conservator whom you can trust to manage the financial needs of your loved ones.

Caring for an incapacitated adult
When devising your estate plan, the care of the most-vulnerable members of your family is, likely, your foremost concern. At the Law Office of Peter S. Stern, we can advise you on making crucial decisions about the financial support, protection and guardianship of developmentally disabled or physically challenged adults, or of similarly disadvantaged children who face a precarious future if care is not taken to provide for them.

Choosing a guardian for your child
You should name a guardian who will raise your children according to your parental philosophies. The court will reject a guardian who is unwilling or unable to care for your child. We suggest that you name an alternate guardian to fulfill the role if your primary guardian choice is unavailable. We also recommend that you thoroughly discuss your decision with your chosen guardian to confirm that the guardian is willing and prepared to accept the full responsibility of caring for your child as you see fit.

Importance of a will
Naming a guardian is especially important if you are a single parent or in the event that both parents were to die in a common incident. If you do not name a guardian, it is the court that will appoint a guardian for your children, and the court might make an unacceptable decision. You can make your own parenting decisions by drafting a will and updating your will if your designated guardian dies or becomes incapacitated.

Contact a thorough estate planning lawyer — Law Office of Peter S. Stern
The Law Office of Peter S. Stern has offices in Palo Alto. We help clients throughout the Bay Area. To schedule an appointment, call us at 650-326-2282 or contact us online.